Wednesday, December 3

Face the illusion



From Peru this summer, I sent a small group of people a postcard of our adventures at Machu Picchu. A scan of the card is shown here on the left. As per usual from far-off countries, the postcards took several weeks to arrive, but once they did I immediately got a call from my mother asking about "the face" that was in the sanctuary. I couldn't understand what she was talking about and the subject was dropped.


Last weekend, while mom was visiting for Thanksgiving (yes, she baked THAT pumpkin cheesecake); she brought up the face. I took out my copy of the postcard I sent out. She took it and turned it on its side:





Now I've seen some crazy things before, and have heard
of crazier, but this one has baffled me ever since. I've been showing the photo around and it's certainly drawn attention. This is not a doctored photo but is considered an illusion because of the aerial angle with which one must view the site in order to catch the right glimpse. Still, it's pretty magnifiscent. Mom went as far as to say that the actual sanctuary seemed "like the Inca face's headdress".




The face has been seen and documented before so my chances for National Geographic are null but that has opened up my eye to other optical illusions:






DO YOU SEE A DUCK? DO YOU SEE A RABBIT??
DO YOU SEE A WASTE OF TIME???

I'm a sucker for time wasted on the internets, a focus for the premium blend of mindlessness.

No comments: