Thursday, November 27

Giving Thanks



Sometimes, it just takes inviting some people over for dinner to realize how hard it is to actually throw a dinner party together. The best advise given for preparing one's home for Thanksgiving dinner is to plan ahead, prepare everything in advance and most certainly set the table the night before. Forgive me, but New Yorkers can have no such rule to follow. Prep was ON the dining room table and cleaning was done WHILE cooking. More and more I realize that we as a society need to have community and require the steady comfort of others around us. It stimulates us, expands our take on not only the lives of others but ourselves.

We covered the widest of topics: taxes, religion, art, marriage and food. Mom took over the kitchen and I handled the house.

Giving thanks around the table is something mom lives for every year. I dread it every year, but this year has brought a lot for which to be thankful. There's the wonderful person with whom I share my life, the great job I cherish and enjoy, the loving parent that has supported every one of my crazy actions, and the few but wonderful people that surround me and whom I call friends. They are all a part of me, and for all of them I am most thankful. These small parts of me complete me and make me strong. They push me and keep me pensive and forthcoming towards whatever next adventure might lie ahead.

No comments: