Wednesday, June 11

TIME



Happy moments like what I found here from artist Edward Monkton are what life is sometimes all about. The idea behind iGoogle stemmed from the idea that themes would change as the day progressed. This theme came to me because I'm obsessed with iGoogle to the point of addiction, seeing what new daily option I'm given as a home page with its 'Theme of the Day' mode selected... why pick one when you can have a taste of it all?? This is just plain fun! The idea of Artists Themes was just another example of the genius of Google, and the world benefits with countless options. To show off the new themes, Google threw this launch party in the Meatpacking District. For three nights, the corner of Gavensvort and Little West 12th (so different now than the seedy days of just 5 years ago) was transformed into an outdoor gallery of sorts.

I have little time on my hands sometimes, and the internet (being the part of my life it is) begins each time with an iGoogle home page which contains the news feeds I've selected from various websites. The design of the page is derived from artist themes; artists from all forms of creativity. They are fun above all the immeditate information I receive with a homepage, but the themes can send you anywhere, even to the genius of an artist.

I've digressed of course, but just take a look for yourself if you haven't already heard the word.

I was recently presented with a situation:
Fight for a project and deal with less-than-ideal circumstances or let the project go away. Time would be the variable on the table, time to rest, though it was time to work, like a flight attendant being asked to do "just one more run".

When time is not enough, it's best to just step back and take more time to figure the rest out. That may not make sense to some, but it realy works. And since it, managing time with multiple projects usually at a head at one time, is what I do for a living and I think I've gotten quite good at it, I'll simply say that it's all possible, and one - okay, me - should not jump too far as to overreach... the ledge might be farther still than ever anticipated.

I spent a few hours talking to my mother tonight. The first call was automatically interrupted by my Treo and the called drop as a notice appeared on the screen: Maximum call time reached, 99.3 minutes. I chuckled. I'd normally make a point to turn such a mode off, but this time I found it amusing. I'd just gotten into a most-heated conversation about estranged sides of her (and mine by a generation) family; her "family business" as how it is referred. And boy has she got almost 60 years worth of it, even farther as grandma's stories are somehow juicier. Family Business, there's the title of that book. Digressing again, but juice can be so tasty...

So there I was, on the 2nd call of two, this one close to 30 minutes, and I realized I'd taken the two precious hours for something worth a lifetime of peace. We hadn't caught up in a long ime, and family is, within limits as she's taight me, worth time.

As for my situation of "project or no project"? I went for it. Family busines may have taught me to list first, think second and tread slowly, but life is teaching me how to finish thoroughly. Precious and delicate, time truly is a part of the essence of balance.

No comments: